Stop the presses! This bread is delicious…and it’s easy to make!
I admit, we only buy whole wheat bread from the store but I don’t buy wheat flour. When I make homemade bread it’s always artisan bread, never a loaf. Well, the time came that I needed sandwich bread for lunch and realized we were out. So I went to my trusty friend Google and found this amazingly easy King Arthur recipe.
I mixed up all the ingredients in my Kitchen-Aid and followed the easy directions. A couple of hours later my boys were eating the most delicious grilled cheese sandwiches along with homemade tomato soup.
You must make this! It is so easy and so very, very good.
King Arthur White Sandwich Bread
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons water to 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water*
- 1 heaping tablespoon honey
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk granules
- *Use the lesser amount in summer or humid climates; the greater amount in winter or drier climates.
- 1) Mix all of the ingredients in the order listed, and mix and knead — by hand, or using a stand mixer — to make a smooth dough. It won’t be particularly soft nor stiff; it should be smooth and feel bouncy and elastic under your hands.
- 2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or other container. Cover it, and let it rise at room temperature until it’s very puffy, 1 to 2 hours.
- 3) Gently deflate the dough, and shape it into a fat 9″ log. Place it in a lightly greased 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- 4) Cover the pan, and let the dough rise for 60 to 90 minutes, till it’s crowned 1″ to 1 1/2″ over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 5) Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Tent it lightly with aluminum foil, and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, till it’s golden brown. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will read 195°F to 200°F.
- 6) Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out onto a rack to cool. When completely cool, wrap in plastic, and store at room temperature.
- Yield: 1 large loaf, about 18 servings.
Your family will love you even more!