My sister-in-law is due in December, tomorrow we celebrate with a baby shower. Her sweet friends are putting the shower on and I asked if I could contribute with a “mini” candy buffet. I will take pictures and blog about the buffet later. Tonight I made chocolate covered pretzels. I looked up some recipes but the first few I found called for a double-boiler, which I do not have.
I finally came across this recipe ,it allows for microwave chocolate melting. I used butter Crisco which gave the chocolate a smooth, buttery taste. They are using the colors purple, lime green, orange and black for October so I added sprinkles I picked up at Walmart.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 package (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 2 dozen pretzel rods or large pretzel twists
- Assorted sprinkles or small candies (optional)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil.
2. Combine the chocolate chips and the shortening in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave until melted, stirring after every minute.
3. If dipping pretzel rods, hold a rod by one end and dip it in the chocolate, leaving an inch or two uncovered. If you are dipping pretzel twists, drop the whole pretzel in the chocolate and submerge it slightly. Use a fork to pull the pretzel out of the chocolate. Shake the chocolate-dipped pretzels several times to remove excess chocolate, and place it on the prepared baking sheet. If you are using sprinkles or small candies, sprinkle them on when the chocolate is still wet. Repeat with remaining chocolate and pretzels.
4. Place the pretzels in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set the chocolate.